This weekend we celebrate Memorial Day in honor of all our loved ones who have passed away during their service in the U.S. military. Some of us even take the time to honor our four-legged heroes who have stepped out in a war zone for our safety and freedom. Memorial Day Weekend is also the mark of the unofficial start to summer. Listed below are 8 different activities for your pup this Memorial Day weekend.
- Most people will have this weekend off so take advantage of it and spend some quality time with your friends. Have a play date with other neighborhood dogs, play around with toys in the backyard or visit a dog park together for a picnic!
- Go swimming in your local lake or pond. Play fetch with a ball or stick in the water and watch your tail-wagging companion splash around. If they don’t know how to swim, now is your chance to teach them how! If you aren’t sure how your dog will react to water, start slow and try blowing up a kiddie pool in the back yard or put on the sprinkler to see how they react. It is a great way to cool off and most dogs will have the most fun trying to catch the spraying water in their mouth.
- Practice different ways you can keep your dog cool this summer. Pour a mixture of chicken or beef broth into an ice cube trey and freeze it. Your dog will love this tasty treat!
- Learn a new trick in the back yard. Teach your dog how to fetch, jump through a hula-hoop, shake, play peek-a-boo and more.
- Take a car ride to your local pet store and buy a new toy to play with outside.
- Dust off their old toys from last summer and drag them all out for them to play with. Get out your video camera and capture your dog having a blast with all their old toys!
- Check to see if there are any Memorial Day parades or events being held near you. This is a great way for you both to socialize with other pets and pet owners.
- Dress your pup up in red, white and blue for a festive look that everyone will love.
Share with us all the fun things you and your pup get into this weekend on our Facebook wall!