Walking your dog at night is pretty unavoidable because of our busy schedules. You may only have a limited time during the day to spend outside with your pal. Taking your dog out when the sun goes down can be fun and relaxing, but there are several precautions you should be taking. Follow the tips below to be sure you both get home safely.
- Reflective tape for your pups collar, leash and harness
- Reflective vest or clip-on blinking lights for your own clothing
- Flashlights for you and your dog
- Bright clothing, never dark
- If you are walking around your neighborhood or in a town, make sure you use the sidewalk. If you have to walk in the street, walk towards the traffic so you can see when someone is coming.
- Be aware of your surrounding sounds, and random movements. Both of your eye sights will reduce in the dark. You won’t be able to notice every jogger, biker or motorist and they won’t always be paying attention either. Be ready to move quickly out of the way.
- Nighttime is usually when people lose their pets. Make sure your furry-tailed friend is always on a leash and hold it tightly. They could get startled from random wild animals or troublesome people.
- Keep your cellphone with you and make sure it is in your pocket at all times.
If you have questions or concerns with walking your dog after the street lights come on, give us a call at 636-939-3000.